HubSpot staging domains set as the primary domain for website pages
Incident Report for HubSpot
Resolved
We have completed the roll back of our domains service at this time and we have restored all domains that were added to Domain Manager by our customers between 3:20 PM EDT on 10/30/2018 and 10/31/2018 at 12:31 PM EDT. Any settings changes made to individual domains during this period were lost and will need to be reset to take effect. Any domains added into an account in advance of our 11/1 product changes will be honored and have been accounted for.
Posted 17 days ago. Oct 31, 2018 - 18:01 EDT
Monitoring
We have completed the roll back of our domains service at this time and we are restoring all domains that were added to Domain Manager by our customers between 3:20 PM EDT on 10/30/2018 and 10/31/2018 at 12:31 PM EDT. Any settings changes made to individual domains during this period were lost and will need to be reset to take effect. Any domains added into an account in advance of our 11/1 product changes will be honored and have been accounted for.
Posted 17 days ago. Oct 31, 2018 - 16:23 EDT
Identified
We have identified the root cause of the issue where HubSpot's staging domains or other resolving domains were improperly set as the primary domain for website pages in some customer accounts beginning on 10/30/2018 at 3:54 PM EDT and we are working on a fix. We will be rolling back our domains database to a previous snapshot taken at 10/30/2018 at 3:20 PM EDT.
Posted 17 days ago. Oct 31, 2018 - 11:25 EDT
Investigating
We are actively investigating an issue where HubSpot's staging domains or other resolving domains have been set as the primary domain for website pages in some customer accounts beginning on 10/30/2018 at 3:54 PM EDT. We will update this incident as more information becomes available.
Posted 17 days ago. Oct 31, 2018 - 10:41 EDT